Monday, October 19, 2009

"Come on, Mothafuckas"

I quoted this statement because it might as well be a trademarked phrase of The Flaming Lips frontman, Wayne Coyne. Last night I saw TFL play at the Treasure Island Music Festival, and the first time he said it I laughed and asked my friend, "did he just call us motherfuckers?" Then I realized that as the show progressed, he was going to say "come on mothafuckas" everytime he wanted us to sing, cheer, etc. Normally, this would not fly with me and I would find the insistence annoying. However, if you have not seen TFL play a show before, you have yet to understand how addicting it was. He's like a modern day pied piper.
Let me preface by saying that my day consisted of a shuttle ride to the island around 2, followed by ritualistic consumption of alcohol and marijuana with 3 of my best friends, watching Edward Sharpe, Beirut, and the Decemberists rock the house, then sprinkling happy powder into our drinks, then finding ourselves front and center for The Flaming Lips set around 9 pm. Just when I thought my day could not get any better, balloons and confetti were launched over the audience while the music went to ear-splitting decibels and the lights were turned up so bright I had to put my sunglasses on (not making that up either). Then Wayne got in a giant plastic ball and walked over the audience while the rest of the band kept right on singing and dancing. Eventually me and my crew of 3 made our way to the ferris wheel, and were floating above the festival for one of my all time favorite songs, She Don't Use Jelly. I felt like Alice in Wonderland after she drank the potion that made her small enough to fit through the keyhole. Just a tiny person amid a fascinating world of lights, colors, sounds, and sensations.
If you can, go to the Treasure Island Music Festival next year and hang out with me. I'll be there with all kinds of potions and treats that make life more magical. Also, go see the Flaming Lips even if you don't like the music that much. Voluntarily being held captive by a man named Wayne is well worth it.
Come on, mothafuckas!

No comments:

Post a Comment