Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Observations in Barcelona

In Barcelona it is very difficult to meet a real Spaniard.  For example, the hostel that Emily and I are staying in is pretty much a co-ed dorm full of American kids.  There are of course the international students that hail from exotic places like Egypt and France, but they are only here to add a bit of flavor to what has literally turned into Girls Gone Wild: Spring Break Barcelona. 
On the beach today, we met some people who live here, but of course one was English from Manchester, the other German (and a ginger too!)  The people working in many of the bars and restaurants in the town center are from other places.  I´ve met Argentinians, Aussies, lots of English, even an Indian guy, but hardly a real Spanish dude.  The only two so far are Guillermo from the front desk here at the hostel and the waiter today at Santa Marta. He loved us so much that we got two free rounds of Ron (also know as Rum), pineapple skewers, and an invite to a beach party.
Unexpectedly, I met an Italian tonight on the bus on the way to the club who stuck with me for quite some time.  Emily met a french guy at the club and I haven´t seen her since (!).  As far as the Italian, letś all chuckle that his name is Stefano, and I work at a place called Stefano.  LOL.  The club we went to, Shoko, opens up onto the beach.  This crazy guy took all his clothes off and jumped in the ocean, so of course I did too DUH! (although I had to wear my purse because the bartender inside told me that the pickpockets will literally steal anything left on the beach...even unattended clothing)!
We are leaving Barcelona tomorrow for one last night in Madrid, and the timing is perfect.  We love it here, but Em and I agree that it is better to leave a place wanting more than to stay too long. Luckily, we did everything we set out to do, including the ultra touristy (but totally awesome) double decker bus tour that showcases all of the Gaudi buildings throughout the city.
Oh yeah, sidenote... if you hang out here on the main tourist beach (called Barceloneta) there are all these people selling things and the sound of it makes a chorus that goes "Cerveza, beer, cold agua... dolla dolla dolla dolla...water, cold agua, cerveza, beer...massagy, massage, massaje...cerveza, beer, cold agua...coco coco marijuana...cerveza, beer, cold agua...¨ We never figured out what the dolla dolla dolla guy was actually selling but the sound of it sends us into hysterics everytime.
Sidenote to the sidenote: All of the people selling stuff are Indian and they wear long pants and polos despite the 90degree weather (this is not racism people, this is fact) and all of the ladies selling massagy are Asian (again, not racist or stereotyping, just telling you what I saw).  I actually bought something off of one guy, after I bargained him down in Spanglish.  It was pretty awkward seeing him pass at least a hundred more times after that because I was gloating heavy over my obvious win. Go Jo!

1 comment: