Sunday, May 15, 2011

We Ate the Churros

As predicted, we returned to San Gines Chocolateria for the famous vegan churros.  Apparently Saturday afternoon is exactly when you are supposed to eat these things because the tiny shop was overflowing with Spanish folks fighting each other for tables and toilet paper.  I had to dip into the private reserves of TP twice while in the place (reserves were kept near the bathrooms, discreetly stacked on a shelf behind the water glasses...don't ask me what the ladies were using before I showed up...)
We finally scored a table after standing Italian style at the espresso bar, trying our best not to miss out on the hot churro action.  We got settled at last. While I was busy with my pot of warm chocolate and espresso, Alia says "Oh my god, look at this waiter..." Emily and I are looking at her, but turn just in time to see a pretty big Spanish waiter lose at least 3 plates of hot churros, 4 coffees, and 4 pots of chocolate from a triple stacked tray!!  I think he was planning to head downstairs with orders for 10 tables, but instead splashed 4 little old ladies with a chocolate surprise.  The shock and awe was so great that not even a gasp was heard.  Silence alone was the only proper reaction, but if you know me, you know I was busting up laughing inside.  It was like watching Claudio on a Saturday night.  We felt so bad for this guy, because this place was so crowded and it took him at least 5 full minutes and two other employees to clean up all the liquid chocolate.  I'm pretty sure it was Alia who said, "That lady got chocolate all over her red jacket!  Free churros for life!"
We also ate some amazing Mediterranean chow at a place called Maoz (pronounced Moe's perhaps) which I heard might be the only vegan option in Paris.  Thank god this place is delicious, cheap, and gives you free refills on your salad bowl.  Put's Daphne's Greek in Daly City to super shame.
We saw "Guernica" at the Museo Reina Sofia, mostly because Emily and I both remember the print at our old kitchen on Hayes.  The print was the size of one wall in our kitchen.  The real thing is the size of one wall of the museum!  Go Picasso, you pervert freak!
Ok...since I'm using Alia's computer and being "that friend" who doesn't ever have her own technology to work with, in addition to having NO access to the ATM because of my lame-ass bank, let me wrap up by telling you that I went out to a bar called Paloma Blanca by my very lonesome just because I had to see a place that gives you free tapas while you drink.  Three beers deep, I managed to taste patatas bravas con salsicca, albondigas (meatballs), and 3 fish sticks.  Of course the only other person there by himself stood right next to me, and we had the best conversation in broken spanish ever!  After admitting I'm not actually 19, he replied it's ok, "Soy treinta" (30) which was the biggest whopper I ever heard since he was obviously 41.  "Christian", pronounced krees-ti-on, will be there again tonight at 9, even though he, of course, has a girlfriend.  Hehehe. Spaniards.
Our night ended at Alia's favorite club, Kapitol, which has 7 dance floors and stays open until 7 am.  Holy cow, what are all these people smoking!? It was 4 am when the big screen lit up, the gogo dancers took to the stage, and the acrobats climbed up the red curtain to do an aerial dance.  No joke, two acrobats used to one curtain to dance their way to the ceiling and I held my breath for a full minute praying that the chica would not be dropped to her death, since there was nothing holding her up but one arm of a guy roped onto the curtain by his feet.  !
Luckily, we made it home in a taxi around 5 am, and like a champion I had purchased some Golden Grahams and soymilk earlier in the day, so I was able to end my night there, like a real American.

2 comments:

  1. so does this mean I can take you to restaurants with normal food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you are just ridiculously hilarious and also "ridiculously good-looking" and better reading than "eat, pray, love". someone should make a movie out of your life! it's a screenplay waiting to happen. i love you. i want one of those churros! (meatballs and fish sticks. . .when in rome. . .) or spain. keep on having a blast. make sure to go see some ruins or some other super old stuff, and go easy on the goji berries, haha, good to know about the soil part. really emily should at least give up the vegan, seriously all the way thru europe and no butter!!! love moo

    ReplyDelete